Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Tuesday Takes...

After an abnormally long day of work, I'm ready to get some things off my mind.  Some are sports related, some aren't, so feel free to critique my points...

  • Is Penn State being indifferent to their past indiscretions by hiring James Franklin? Absolutely they are.  I'm certainly not saying Franklin had anything to do with the allegations against four of his former players, but with what's gone on in Happy Valley, you would think the Nittany Lions would want someone squeaky clean.  It's ridiculous that they would take a chance on anyone with ANY kind of baggage, but hey, what do I know, I'm just an everyday Pitt fan.
  • The Pens are so good right now that it's scary.  A lot of people are making a big deal of the way they've played recently, and the comments made by Rob Scuderi after the Winnipeg game referring to the Pens style as "Harlem Globetrotter hockey", but personally, I think it's a sign of a very talented team.  Now, I'm old school - I like seeing the Pens win 3-2 or 2-1, in a heavy checking game.  The fact that they can win games and keep collecting points, even though they are obviously not playing their best, is a very welcome sign.  I think this year could be a very good one for us come springtime.  Stay tuned.
  • So currently I'm on the couch with my wife watching Modern Family.  Has there ever been a show that has exploded quicker than that?  It's on like 3 channels, and I feel like any time I turn on the TV it's on.  That being said, I dig the show.  Come on, how can you not like a show with Al Bundy in it?
  • Since I'm not hip to video games any more (they're too expensive, and I feel like I don't have the time to dedicate to the ones I enjoy like I once could), we play a bunch of board games around the house.  From time to time I'll recommend one, and now is one of those times.  It's called Pantheon.  If you dig Risk and Settlers of Catan, it's kind of a mix of the two.  It's one of those games that can get really personal, really quickly, which in my book is definitely a plus.  It's for 2-4 players and lasts about 90 minutes.  Definitely worth your time.
  • Lastly, for you locals, it's, Pittsburgh Restaurant Week which means a ton of good places are running deals and special menus all week.  Personally, it doesn't really change much for me because at 90% of these places, I get steak and potatoes.  However, for you foodies like my blushing bride, this is a great time to try new places, and to check out some good seasonal food.  We always try to get out at least once or twice during PRW, and I'd recommend you do too - great grub and it's always good to support your local small businesses.
Well boys and girls, that's about it for me.  Take care, and catch ya on the flip side.

No comments:

Post a Comment